Most filters are labeled with a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating number, which measures a filter's ability to trap particles ranging in size from 3.0 microns to 10.0 microns. Residential filters commonly have MERV ratings of 1-12. In most cases, a pleated filter with a MERV rating between 6 and 8 is adequate. Remember to clean or change your filters at least every two months during the heating season.
See all tips
See Waverly's Hal Moore solar water heater owner interview.
Learn how Hal Moore decided to install a solar water heater.
The sun can translate into savings for Waverly Light and Power customers. We offer rebates to residents who install solar water heating systems. These rebate opportunities add to our energy efficiency rebate portfolio to help residents save energy - and money- on their utility bill. Pre-approval is needed to qualify for the rebate.
How Much Does it Cost
Solar water heating systems can provide long-term energy savings. Waverly Light and Power rebates, in conjuction with federal tax incentives, make it easier for residents to purchase and install these systems.
|Average Installation Cost ||$11,000 |
|Average Federal Tax Credit (30%) ||$3,300 |
|Average WLP Rebate ||$1,500 |
|Estimated Customer Cost ||$6,200 |
With a solar water heater our customers are not only saving money, they are also saving the environment. A solar electric heater produces about a third of the carbon dioxide compared to a regular electric heater and a solar gas heater produces almost half as much carbon dioxide as a regular gas heater.
How to Qualify
- Residents must go through a pre-application process and obtain a county-issued permit prior to installing a solar water heating system. (Homeowners may choose any licensed, bonded contractor in Bremer County to perform the installation, which will be subject to an inspection by a county inspector)
- A separate inspection by Waverly Light and Power is also required as a safeguard in order for homeowners to qualify for the rebate.
- Once approved, rebate amounts are based on the square footage of the solar panel system.
- Waverly Light and Power will then issue rebate checks within 14 business days. Rebates will be issued on a first-come, first serve basis, and there is a limit of one rebate per address.
Tax Credit Opportunities
Federal tax credits are available to homeowners who install a solar water heating system. All ENERGY STAR® solar water heaters qualify. Waverly Light and Power recommends you contact your tax advisor for details and updates at the time of your installation.
- Use IRS Form 5695.
- System must be placed in service before December 31, 2016.
- At least half of the energy generated by the system must come from the sun.
- Homeowners may only claim spending on the solar water heating system itself, not the household’s entire water heating system.
- Credit is not available for expenses for swimming pools or hot tubs.
- Water must be used in the dwelling.
- System must be certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation™ (SRCC).
- For more tax credit information, visit: www.energystar.gov .
2014 Solar Water Heater Claim Form
2014 Solar Water Heater Application
While every effort is made to keep the details of our programs up to date on this website, we recomend you contact Waverly Light and Power at 319.352.6251 for the most up to date offerings.